- Campbell Maritime’s Captain’s Log: Brian shares a daily blog about life as a tugboat captain in “Captain’s Log”
- Fremont Tugboat Blog: Mark posts pictures from the daily activities of Fremont Tugboat Co. as well as photos from his vast and ever-growing tugboat photo collection
- Old Tacoma Marine: Adrian catalogs boats with old engines in the Puget Sound area and blogs about his experiences working in the field
- This Old Tugboat: Story of the renovation of Red Cloud from WWII Navy tug to luxury adventure cruiser; also, follow Rick & Karie’s facebook page, “This Old Tugboat”
- Tug Galene: Skip & Marty share the progress of their work on the Miki tug, Galene
- Tug Iver: Follow their progress as Bill & Juli transform Iver into a “tughome”
- Tugboat SF
- Saltwater People Historical Society: A society formed in 2009 for the purpose of collecting, preserving, celebrating, and disseminating the maritime history of the San Juan Islands and northern Puget Sound area
Photos on the Web
Here are a few photo collections of tugboats. If you’ve found another, please let us know!
Tugboat Companies, Charters & Related Services
Here are some tugboat companies around Puget Sound. Please let us know about others that we’ve missed, in the Puget Sound area or other areas around the US & Canada.
- Campbell Maritime
- Crowley & Crowley’s Vessel History
- Dunlap Towing
- Foss Towing & Foss Towing’s History
- Fremont Tugboat Co.
- Island Tug & Barge
- Western Towboat Co.
Other Clubs & Organizations
Here are a few clubs and other organizations that might be of interest. Please let us know about others that we’ve missed, in the Puget Sound area or other areas around the US & Canada.
- Model Tug Forum: information on the world of tugboat model building
- NAFTS – National Association of Fleet Tug Sailors: also welcoming of non-military folks with ex-military tugs
- Tugboat Enthusiasts Society: publish a quarterly journal, have an extensive list of boats on their web site, and much more!
- Tugboats Yahoo Group
- Westcoast Work Boat Association: based in Sidney, B. C. and comprised of retired workboats, fishboats & tugboats
Please let us know if you have suggestions of other museums we should include in this list!
- Working Waterfront Maritime Museum (Tacoma, WA)
- Museum Ship: Visit Tugboat Arthur Foss (Seattle, WA)
Restoration and upkeep
- The Rot Doctor: Wood treatment and preservation products. The owners have restored an old wood tug and use these products in their renovations. There some interesting articles and discussions on the website about wood boat restoration.
- Big Ship Salvage: Salvaged brass lighting and other cool stuff
- The C-Head: an affordable portable composting toilet.
Some other links you might be interested in. If you’d like to suggest others, please let us know!
- Mother of All Maritime Links: Tugboats and Towboats section of John Kohnen’s vast list of links
- ShipbuildingHistory.com: Construction records about vessels built by major shipbuilders, for the military, etc.
- Transport Canada Vessel Registration Search: Canadian vessel registration search for a particular boat, by name or number
- US Vessel Documentation Search: search the US Coast Guard documentation database for a particular boat, by name or number
Tugs For Sale
Here are some more web sites where you can search for boats & equipment. This is by no means a comprehensive list, so if you have suggestions for web sites or other sources that should be here, let us know, of course.
- BoatQuest.com: Boats listed from all over the world; this link will automatically search for tugs on their list, but they also have other types of boats
- CraigsList.org: Remember to search both Tug and Tugboat
- eBay.com: eBay Motors lists boats, same advice as above, search both Tug and Tugboat
- Multiships (Netherlands): Search for tugboats and workboats in Europe. Nice folks with a penchant for workboats!
- Old Tacoma Marine:They have a page on their website that lists local PNW boats for sale, mostly tugs
- Pacific Boat Brokers: Offices in British Columbia (Parksville) and Washington (Everett)
- ScrutonMarine.com: Mostly East Coast boats; also has listing other types of boats, equipment, etc. from their main page
- WesternMaritime.com: Click on “On-line Classified Ads” for boat & equipment, etc. listings in the Pacific Northwest
- YachtWorld.com: Click on the small “Advanced Search” link on the left hand side to search for specific styles of boats, locations, etc. Choose “Tug” from the “Boat Type” list to search for tugs, for example.